Saturday, September 26, 2015

Food for Thought


The latest OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development) result is that computers don't help student learning.

In a recent paper by Peter Evans-Greenwood, Kitty O’Leary, Peter Williams, Deloitte, 18 Sept 2015, the authors write, "(E)ducators need to turn their attention to creating environments and platforms where students can learn what they need to learn when they need to, and instilling in them the habits of mind, attitudes and behaviours that will enable them to thrive in today’s (and tomorrow’s) knowledge-rich environment."

Food for thought?


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to see you're still blogging. I just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten about your good work in education. The last few years have been like a dream, as my family has suffered an terrible illness of one of our members. We seem to be better now, and I'm trying to reconstitute my life. Hope all is well for you.

Blogger In Middle-earth said...

Kia ora Cheryl!

I am sorry to hear of the illness in your family. I hope that 2016 brings health and happiness to you and yours.

I took a break from blogging in 2011. I have only posted a few since then and after I had retired in 2014. I was quite insulted, in 2010, that my employer had the audacity to block my blog, without informing me, from all my work colleagues. When I enquired as to why, they quickly lifted the ban saying that, in view of it being a professional blog on education they had decided to lift the ban. There was more that I won't bore you with here.

Catchya later

Unknown said...

Life has improved. Thanks for taking the time to let me know about your life. I also "retired". I was able to meet the years teaching requirements, so I retired. I didn't have any more sick days, so I was glad.
I'm sorry to hear of the burdensome issues that you had to deal with. You have much to say that can be helpful and interesting for others in education.
One thing that I'm learning though. It is good to just be like Ferdinand and smell the roses....not so much like Don Quixote.

Blogger In Middle-earth said...

Kia ora Sheryl

You are so right about smelling the roses. I watch the butterflies and pick the strawberries too.


What it is to feel

soft sand underfoot,

waves lapping at ankle,

warm sun on back.

Where else in the universe

is there a place

rich with pleasures as this?